Friday, June 24, 2011

Two intensive weeks of learning

I had a very tough year with Journalism and Newspaper and had pretty much decided not to teach those classes next year because I felt like I didn't know what else to do with them. So, when I applied to the institute, I told myself that I'd give it a try and if I was accepted, I'd stick with the publications classes next year. Otherwise, I planned to walk away.

I'm not a quitter, so I was excited to be accepted to the institute. And wow, there's no way I could quit now! I feel like I'm armed to the teeth with tools for teaching Journalism. Not only do I have materials and ideas, I'm excited!

Although I love my summer break, in some ways I wish I was headed back to school. I can't wait to get started using everything I've learned.

Thank you to the presenters and instructors who taught us so much. Thanks to the staff behind the scenes who made this run so smoothly. And thanks to my peers who provided fun and encouragement and will be a network of help and advice for years to come.

Traci Peugh
North Medford High School
Medford, Ore.

1 comment:

  1. I am so with you on the summer break thing. I usually say "no work, all play" for the summer but I'm ready to meet with my co-teacher and editors next week! I don't want to wait until the week before camp like I had planned. We'll see if I can get them excited to meet with me or not... I intend to start texting them this weekend!

    Angela Carter
    Winfield High School
    Winfield, Kan.

    ReplyDelete