Thursday, June 23, 2011

Top 10 quotations I will post in my classroom.

10. "Barf it out." (Steve Elliott)

9. "News never happens in a newsroom." (Nick Oza)

8. "Good opinion writers are good reporters first." (Sarah Gassen)

7. "Wikipedia is the best place to start, but the worst place to stop." (Dan Gillmor)

6. "Report with all your senses." (Jim Trotter)

5. "Stop thinking about doing it. Start today." (Aaron Manfull)

4. "Nobody's going to make journalism a big deal in your school except you." (Alan Weintraut)

3. "Milk doesn't come from refrigerators. Pictures don't come from Google Images." (Frank LoMonte)

2. "People who can't change their minds are scary." (Dan Gillmor)

1. "You can visit Pity City, but you can't live there." (Kristen Gilger)

Liz Dixon
West Lafayette High School
West Lafayette, Ind.

6 comments:

  1. Those are great quotes to live by. It's funny how those comments mean so much to us but they might mean very little to other people that weren't here the past 2 weeks. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memo to self: Come up with a better money quote for next year's institute. I enjoyed these a great deal and will share them with speakers.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  3. While these are all fantastic, number 10 really stands out to me. I think we can all easily list all the disadvantages we face with our student publications, and it can be therapeutic to fuss about them.
    Dwelling on them will get us nowhere. At some point, we have to quit fussing and start working. I plan to put this statement on my desk and take it to heart.

    Lynsie Brenner
    Putnam City North High School
    Oklahoma City

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these Liz!I will use them too. All our speakers had some great things to say.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to use some, too.

    Karla Erdman
    Freedom High School
    Bethlehem, PA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful quotes to live by! I plan to return and have an editors meeting. I'm hoping I can get them excited to paint the classroom and put quotes up all over the place. Not sure which of these will make the list, but I will sure offer them up!

    Angela Carter
    Winfield High School
    Winfield, Kan.

    ReplyDelete