Friday, June 24, 2011

The lesson I was looking forward to

As a certified font nut, I was looking forward to Tracy Collins' lesson and he didn't disappoint. I wish there had been more time to go over our school papers, but what commentary we got was helpful.

The watchword for me is simplify. My students try to to too much on each page. It's a case where less is more. Use color wisely, use fonts carefully, group alike elements together.

There has been so much input these two weeks, it is going to take awhile for me to process everything. As I go over my notes and the many handouts, I look forward to relearn what I've been taught during this amazing time in the desert.

I am really gratified that if I forget something, every speaker has encouraged us to call or email them. Wow, what a resource that is! It is also encouraging to know that we have each other as resources as well. I am glad to have gotten to know so many diverse, intelligent and talented people.

I am also glad that Steve Elliott held us to high standards. We were damn tired at times, and it would have been easy to skip a seminar, but Steve provided us with a good example to emulate for our own students. Kind. Firm. Humorous.

Anita Luera did a wonderful job of making everything run so smoothly. I have never been to an event like this that functioned so well.

Finally, Alan Weintraut gives me a mark to shoot for. Though my circumstances are different from his, his dedication, professionalism and creativity will stick with me. The many ideas and handouts he gave me will be an integral part of my journalism classroom.

Cheers everyone. Have a great summer!

Don Anderson
Jewell School
Seaside, Ore.

No comments:

Post a Comment