Friday, June 24, 2011

Leadership isn't so bad


When the email arrived asking for group leaders, I immediately pretended I had not seen it. I convinced myself that I would simply be a group member, that I would avoid any sort of leadership position at the Institute. My reasons were selfish. Less responsibility sounded heavenly in light of the huge changes in my personal life: new house, new job, etc.

I felt the same aversion to extra responsibility I see in students all the time. I immediately kicked myself (figuratively) when I heard myself volunteering to be a group leader.

And as cliche as it sounds, I am so glad I did volunteer. It was not nearly as painful as I feared the position would be. The 10 minute group leader meeting really opened my eyes to how I want my student publications to operate: a group of student leaders collaborating to determine how to best present the final product.

As I look at the online product this morning, I really feel a sense of ownership and accomplishment. Yes, my name is on my article in all its italicized sans serif glory, but I am more excited to see the final product. More responsibility = more opportunities enjoying success.

Leadership is not for everyone, but I think that everyone should have an opportunity to try it out. I can create those opportunities in my classrooms for students who, like myself this summer, want to avoid that responsibility. Rather than scaring the student with a list of responsibilities and trying to convince them it's not that bad, I can simply ask them to try it.

And ideally they'll discover, like I did, that the experience and reward far outweighs any extra time spent in the newsroom.

Lynsie Brenner
Putnam City North High School
Oklahoma City

3 comments:

  1. I think it was Ted Turner who said, "Lead, follow or get out of the way." Words to live by.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynsie,
    I thought the same thing, yet I was also standing up to be the leader of a group making a video of all things.
    I was also happy to sit with you and "shout out" ideas while you instructed me about PhotoShop.
    Thank you!
    Karla Erdman
    Freedom High School
    Bethlehem, PA

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thanks to both Lynsie and Karla for the beautiful masthead.

    ReplyDelete