Friday, June 24, 2011

Tracy Collins has an eye for design

Tracy Collins of The Arizona Republic knows more about fonts than anyone I have met. I had no idea that one character had so many labels: Apex, Aperture, Spur, etc. It was a bit overwhelming. However, a few days from now, I will review my notes and begin thinking about  improving the design of our paper.
His sense of respect for the story and the reporter was evident. He understands that design compliments and helps tell the story; not distract the reader.
Page design needs to be a collaborative effort between the writer and the designer. The best pages are produced with a universal vision and understanding of what the reader needs to know.

Thomas Curran
Grace King High School
Metairie, La

2 comments:

  1. I so agree that page design needs to be collaborative between the writer and designer. For the first time I will have a designated page designer. We're still working out her staff responsibilities and how the whole process will work, but I'm excited to see how this works. After all of the information I've learned this week it validates that we're moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found it interesting to see how many students actually enjoy page design. They have such a sense of pride in their originality and it almost breeds competition amongst them.

    ReplyDelete