Thursday, June 23, 2011

And that's the way it is...

I was caught off guard on my last day here when Anita asked me to use a fill-in script and be taped for the Reynolds Institute.

Of course, I was able to fill in my name, position, and school (although there were days during the two-week stint when I couldn't remember my own name because I had so many ideas swimming around from the great sessions).

The next question, however, was what was I going to speak about as being the most memorable part of the Institute. Meeting so many people in the same position would be a great thing to talk about, but I didn't. Talking about the great session about design today with Tracy Collins would also be a great thing to mention, but I didn't. Recalling the presentation by Jim Trotter that left everyone in tears would make an amazing memorable moment, but again, it didn't even cross my mind at the time.

Instead, my most memorable moment was the first day of the Institute when Ken Paulson spoke to us about the 1st Amendment. Now, I think of myself as a good American; I pledge the flag, I vote and I have a basic understanding of our government. In fact, my son is leaving for boot camp in July, and I have other family members who have served our country and I am proud of that. But that day I realized how much I really did not know, and I was embarrassed.

Paulson's presentation was witty, informative, and overall fabulous. I learned so much in that first session that it truly set off the Institute for me. Each day I think about the 1st Amendment and how much we all take for granted or don't even know. The thing that really impacted me was that I need to set a better example for my students. And I am confident that after hearing Ken Paulson, I am able to do just that.

1st Amendment:
Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the Press, Freedom of Religion, Freedom to Assemble and Freedom to Petition.
www.1forall.us

Karla Erdman
Freedom High School
Bethlehem, PA

1 comment:

  1. And don't forget about applying for the grant that they are offering to schools that want to promote the First Amendment to students.

    ReplyDelete